Tuesday, October 11, 2005

UNITY!!! Beyotch!!

Charlie Murphy's coming to Milwaukee to do some stand up. By all accounts, he's a pretty funny dude in his acts, but I got to wondering if he wasn't cursed by the cult following Chappelle's Show got.

There's a pretty funny interview here, and it goes to show some of the experiences of being a B-list celebrity.

But I don't know that I'm ever going to look past Charlie as anyone but the guy that beat up Rick James, or played basketball against Prince. Game, Blouses.

He's in part responsible for some of the catch phrases that the first half of this decade ( the 'oughts? ) will be remembered for. When trust fund, rich, frat boys are yelling out, "I'm Rick James Bitch!!" at the WAC when they're done with a set of weights, you know you've saturated the culture.

Even I used it once, but it was a good one. I was in the huddle with my old team as a quarterback, and I was the only white guy in the huddle. One of my teammates pointed out that the only white guy there was in charge of telling all the other black guys what to do. So I said, "That's cuz I'm Rick James Bitch!" - which they actually thought was real funny coming from the skinny white guy.

I wonder how many times a day he has to hear those phrases said back to him. Ugh. What a way to go through the rest of your life. Is it possible that at his show that no one will shout out the Rick James line? Being Eddie Murphy's brother must have brought him into a very strange world, and one that he talks about on tour. It might be a story worth listening to.

But for now, I don't know that Charlie Murphy is going to be anyone other than Buck Nasty to me.

"He's a habitual line stepper."
"I don't know what he's so angry about. I mean c'mon. You know where he got that shirt. And it DAMN sure wasn't the mens department."

Too bad they never made it to season three.

1 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Blogger Will said...

"Challenge him! Challenge him and make sure your boys are there to see it!'

"So, what happened next?"

"Oh, well... we went back inside and he fixed us some pancakes."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home