Friday, February 17, 2006

It's a CARTOON.

I think I'm a smart guy, but I don't understand the whole cartoon-riots.

Here's what I know about the situation:

- The cartoons were drawn, and published, in the fall of LAST year.
- The cartoons were drawn, and published, by Danish folks.
- For once, we had nothing to do with something that people are angry about.
- Newspapers that are re-publishing the cartoons are under intense pressure to apologize.

So, despite being a smart guy, here's what I don't get - Why are there riots now, and nothing back in the fall? If Danish people caused the ruckus, why are they burning American flags and KFCs? If a story is newsworthy (which the riots are), why are newspapers that are reprinting the cartoons as factual reporting ( showing this is why they are mad ) being condemned for reprinting them??

It seems to me, that if people are steaming mad, I would want to know why they're upset. So a newspaper seems like a logical place to see what all the fuss is about. It's not like the newspapers reprinted the cartoons because they thought they were funny, and put them in the comic section. These asshats that are screaming for papers like the Badger Herald to issue an apology need to STFU.

It's been said before, but bears repeating. People upset that they're portrayed as violent, so they become violent. Sounds like a good plan to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home