Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The Greatest 27 Hours of Sport

Well, almost.

It started on Friday, when I was on-call for work. I work for a guy named Patrick, and some second shift times I have to be on call, for which I do get paid. On Friday, Patrick was going to play baseball, and he needed a shortstop, so he called me. As to not take the hours away from me, he kept me on the clock while I went to go play hardball in Port Washington.

I got paid to play ball. I've been waiting 29 years to say that one.... even if it is a stretch.

Then, on Saturday morning, Bob, Nort, a co-worker of Bob's and I went to go golf. Nort and I split the challenges we pitted against each other for a wash on the pitchers of beer - but he and I cleaned house on the back nine for beer against the old guys. Each hole was a team combined score hole for a pitcher of beer. Nort and I won eight of the nine holes. We didn't cash in on all the beer in the clubhouse, because I had a football game ( details to follow ) that night, so I couldn't get too drunk that afternoon.

Oh, did I mention that I had a beer at 8:15 in the morning? We had a 7:20 tee time, and the beer girl came around at 8:15. God I love golf.

To cap off the sports day, we had a football game on Saturday night. We won the game, despite not playing as well as we should have. I got a few snaps in, and despite playing well in such a limited capacity, I was happy with my performance.

At least until I left the bar that night. A few conversations were overheard, and to say that my situation is still murky at best, would sound nice at this point. Apparently they're thinking of making a change at QB, but those plans have me nowhere on the radar. The knock against me is my mechanics, and I don't dispute that I'm not textbook when it comes to throwing the football. But for the last year and a half, the end result has been good - so I was told in no uncertain terms, that mechanics wouldn't factor into a decision, so long as I still was performing well. The guy that they'd make the change to has flaws with his mechanics as well... but don't even get me started on that.

I'm beginning to think that I was told wrong. I'm thinking it wasn't really as close as they said it was. I'm thinking that they're holding on to the past when they look ahead. I was told that I hadn't earned the trust of the team - but the only way to earn that is by playing. I saw the looks on the faces of the other ten guys when I went out there - they trusted me. They blocked for me when I got a few chances to throw. So I don't know what to do at this point. The more lip service I get, the more I think that I really don't have a chance to play here. And it sucks. I know I wrote about this a couple of weeks ago, but it's eating at me inside.

I know I can do this. I know without a doubt that I'm better than the guy that they would make a change to.

But I don't see that happening. I wish I had a better answer. If I sucked, Willy could just punch me in the face, and tell me to shut up. If I fumbled, or threw picks, I'd understand. I worked my ass off for a chance - and up until recently, I thought I was given the chance. The more the season rolls by, I'm beginning to think that wasn't the case. And that's a scary thought coming from this team. It's not supposed to be like this.

And thus ended the Greatest 27 Hours of Sport. I said 'almost' at the start of this post because of the conversations overheard at the bar - but that not withstanding, it still was a pretty kick ass day of sports. And now I'm trying to upload a picture from the game, but Blogger is being a bitch about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home