Tuesday, October 11, 2005

COSTANZA!!!!

With apologies to my cousin Nick, who's dutifully serving our country in the Air Force stationed in Boston ( and who's heard this phrase prolly one to many times in the last year )....

F*ck the Yankees.

216 million dollars, and they can't get past the first round of the playoffs. Hell, it took them until there was only two games remaining in the season just to know if they were in the playoffs or not. But 216 million? You carry a roster of 25 guys through the season. Over NINE million per player? Wow. I've posted before about the ability of a person to get theirs if the taking is there, but this is f*cking ridiculous. The Tampa Bay Devil Rays had a payroll of 29 million dollars this year. And you know the funny thing? Tampa beat the Evil Empire 11 out of 19 games between the two clubs this year. HA!

At 218 million dollars, they are almost DOUBLE the next highest payroll, that of the Boston Red Sox, who chime in at a measly 123 million dollars. The Yankees have had exponentially higher payrolls than other baseball teams for most of the last decade. And while they've made the postseason seemingly almost every year, they haven't won a championship in the last five. And I hope we go another five with out them winning one. F*ck the Yankees. Hell, I'm okay if they don't ever win another one.

And here's my thing with the Yankees, and moreover, with their fans. Bear in mind, I'm not necessarily talking about Vito from the Bronx, who would club my knees with a rusty sledgehammer for talkin sh*t about his Yanks, but this is about Yankee fans in general. There's always a diehard, and I love those fans. Even the diehard Royals fans. All three of them. But Yankee fans don't give a sh*t about the team deep down. It's New York for christ's sake. LA can't keep a sports team there because there's too many distractions for fans, and the same almost applies for New York. The season ended last night for the Yankees, and no one will mention them around the water coolers in NYC until next August, when they're making another lame push for the playoffs.

They'll yawn when the Yankees offer Mike Koplove 12 million a year to try to fill the void at middle reliever, the position that killed them this year. Who is Mike Koplove you ask? Well, if you have to ask, then he's not really worth 12 million a year for 5 years now is he?

It's a sad, sad, situation in New York, and I'm loving every minute of it. The Brewers spent almost 40 million this year, and played .500 ball. Fans showed up at the park, and things seem to be going in the right direction for the franchise for the first time in my adult life. I can't say I was one of those fans ( this is the first year ever I can remember that I did not attend a Brewer game ). But I realize where my team fits on the totem pole of baseball. If the Brewers spent almost a quarter of a billion dollars on it's payroll for a year, and we didn't win it all - myself and the rest of the fans should rise up and slay the powers that be on the team. At the very least, for that much more money than everyone else, we should win every game by at least 5 runs, and they should expect to get booed if that doesn't happen.

But *Yawn*, New Yorkers have trendy club openings to go to now, and the Macy's day parade to get ready for. They have the mentality that because they're from New York, they deserve the crown, and that makes me want to puke. They're not distraught that the season is over, and that's just pathetic.

FUCK the Yankees.

1 Comments:

At 10:39 AM, Blogger Will said...

I most definitely have a love/hate relationship with New York. I lived on Long Island for a year and my father would take me to Mets games at good 'ol Shea Stadium. A couple times we went on the same train that John Rocker was commenting on and I can say, from personal experience, that Rocker's definitely been on the No. 7.

We would get really good seats behind home plate from some friends of my Dad at work. There were season ticket holders sitting around us, but not many. Not many people went to the games back then ('93) cause they absolutely sucked. Bobby Bonilla had signed a huge contract, then posted a .265 batting average and only 87 RBI's.

Those loyal New York fans would go to the games knowing they would see a loss just to heckle Bonilla. "Think our millions can buy a hit this at bat, Bonilla?" "You suck, Bobby!" "You're a joke!" These guys were paying $80-$100 a seat to yell at a guy. Where else would that happen?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home