Wednesday, January 11, 2006

For Ever a Kid

Nick posted about his getting the "Complete Calvin and Hobbes", and it made me go grab mine and finish reading the series. I posted about the collection awhile back, and my ever astute Mom picked up on a hint, and got me the collection for Christmas. I think I appreciate the strip a lot more now. Reading them again, even though I remember a particular strip, I see it differently now as an adult - but it's mixed with nostalgia, and I couldn't put the books down.

Also for Christmas, my cousin Nick ( not the same Nick from above ), made a replication of the Hobbes 'portrait' from the strip. Calvin had drawn a portrait of Hobbes, and in alot of strips, this portrait was hung above Calvin's bed. Now I have my own picture of Hobbes, and it is proudly displayed in my house.


And the following is a poem from the collection, with the drawing to go with it. In the drawing, above Calvin's bed, you'll see the Hobbes portrait.

"Now I'm off to bed,
The sheets pulled to my head.
My tiger is here making Zs.
He's furry and hot.
He takes up alot
Of the bed and he's hogging the breeze."

4 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, Blogger Party Girl said...

I have gotten so much from my complete collection as an adult than I ever did when I was kid/teenager. You really appreciate how you thought of the world/ your imaginiation worked as a kid when you no longer think as you once did. (as an innocent child simply trying to make your way through the world. Now, I'm a clueless adult trying to make my way through the world.)

Also, I love the portrait. Very nice, very childlike innocent.
My Hobbes was, Knickerbocker. A dog/bear like animal that is all
matted, dirty, worn and well loved. I have him proudly displayed on a shelf in my bedroom.
What was your Hobbes?

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger ptg said...

C&H was probably one of the most inventive strips ever. I truly believe it led the way for further animation including Finding Nemo, Toy Story, etc - for the simple fact that it not only attracted kids to it, but adults as well.

That's pretty cool on the Hobbes' portrait. :o)

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Hoochie Mama said...

Awe! How sweet! :)

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Nick said...

Now thats a sweet gift.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home