Monday, February 20, 2006

I Hope I'm Not Alone

I posted a long time ago about how I couldn't turn the channel if there's anything about September 11th, 2001 on TV. The same held true last night, as the History Channel had on a show called, "The Day The Towers Fell".

I was dog tired last night, even crawling into bed around 8:30. The History Channel is one of my regular stops on the dial when perusing the TV, and despite being tired, I couldn't fall asleep until after 10pm when the show was over.

As I said before, I didn't know anyone that died on that day. I don't even think I know anyone that knew anyone that died that day. I didn't even know anybody that lived in either New York or DC.

The closest possible connection I can make to that day, is that I have a pilot friend. SkyDork was actually in the air when the attacks happened, and hearing him talk about it will give you chills. He was over the Midwest somewhere, and hearing him talk about the look on his and his co-pilot's face when they got the message : "ALL planes are to land immediately." is pretty intense.

He doesn't fly the types of planes that were used, but he flies commercial airplanes - and I know that's a stretch, but that's the closest connection I have.

So why do I get all numb when there's something on TV about it? Even if I've seen the particular program before, I still end up watching it over again sometimes. But for something I've never seen before, like last night, I watch. I can't not watch.

But it makes me think about the people that it directly affected. Those that were there and survived... and families of those that didn't. I was 1500 miles away, with no direct connection.......... I can't even imagine what they go through when these programs come on.

There's a big part of me that's glad I watch, and I can only hope that others like me have the same reaction.

4 Comments:

At 11:13 PM, Blogger ptg said...

I remember that day CLEARLY - my mom (used to) work in the Pentagon and was supposed to be there when the plane hit. Well, apparently she had a meeting that day and was late leaving the house and got stuck in the parking lot that was Shirley Highway (otherwise known as 395 - the highway that goes right next to the Pentagon). She decided to go to a local restaurant, eat, and then try to get home - NEVER EVEN THOUGHT about calling her daughter, as I was frantically calling her work and home phone, as well as other friends (my mother is one of the last few people on this planet without a cell phone). I went to work, spoke with my boss, and immediately starting making plans to drive back home to DC the next day.

I got a phone call at 5:30 that night telling me that she was fine, and why was I worried?? I only left about 15 messages on her machine (I called many, many other times than that.)

So I remember that day...probably not only one of the most frightening but one of the most relieving days of my life thus far.

Though that might be more than what you wanted to know....

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a penpal with a firefighter in NY (we both were memebers of an national animal welfare group- he had like 8 dogs). He didn't make it, i never meet him in person but it still hurt. I'm the other way- I can hardly stand watching those things in TV, gets me too emotional.

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Party Girl said...

I do the same thing. I stop and watch.

If more people, like you, stop and remember that day instead of making it just another day and another day in history, then perhaps we won't let another day like that happen. Perhaps we can actually stop history from repeating itself.

It's sad that less than five years later 9/11 has become nothing more than a sound bite in the media.

That day? Simply reading this post brought chills, tears and images back to my mind. I was right back to that morning.

 
At 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember wanting to stay home with you and your brother, wanting Dad to cut his trip short and come home so we could be together and feel safe. People just like us went off to work like any other day, and it turned into a nightmare. Lynn - just reading the words about your friend the firefighter "he didn't make it" brings tears to my eyes. So painful. Words are difficult, but just know I am proud to have a son who will never forget. Because we must NEVER forget what happened that day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home