Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Come On Now

Everyday that goes by, I become a little more amazed at the complete lack of thought that goes into our existence on this planet. The example today is quite staggering.

There was an article on the main news page on Yahoo that mentions that there is possibly a new species of carnivore that has been found in Borneo. I find science things to be very interesting, so I clicked on the link.

Here's the link, and perhaps you'll catch the irony before you have to read the rest of my post.

But for those of you that don't like to RTFA, the article mentions that there are a series of camera traps set up all around the island of Borneo, just for this purpose of seeing new species. Since 1994, over 360 new species have been found on the island, mostly plants and insects.

Well, nothing out of the norm so far. Until you notice the 'picture' that comes with the article.


Are you f*cking kidding me? The species was discovered using CAMERAS, and we get an "artist rendition"???? The cameras have captured the animal TWICE. So where's the f*cking pictures??????

The article also mentions that the animal has a "long, bushy tail". I understand that some adjectives can be interpreted differently by different people, but I don't think that looks like a "bushy" tail in the artist rendition. A squirrel has a bushy tail. This just looks like a tail.

How does this get greenlit? AP Writer:"Hey, I've got a great story! They found a new species of animal!"
Editor: "Great! Make sure you show a picture for people to see."
AP Writer: "Ummmmmmm.... is a drawing okay?"

Simply amazing. It's almost beautiful in a way, how stupid this really is.

4 Comments:

At 10:33 AM, Blogger Will said...

Umm, asshat. You should go to another news source, cause the pics have been on Drudge.com for 3 days.

Ha-ha! (like Nelson)

 
At 11:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I find funny is the artist's apparant scale of the creature. It looks like it's taller than the trees (which I know are in the background, but still...)

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger Kuflax said...

That was the point!! There are pictures out there, and they still used a damn drawing!!

 
At 1:03 AM, Blogger MrHinge said...

I agree with you. I'm into all that artsy fartsy shit (now taking commissions) and I can't believe they didn't just show the pics.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home