Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Stand, In the Place Where You Work...

During the busy season, I'm being passed around to the clubs to work in the job I had before I came to the office. Here's an example of what can happen in that job.

**Page over the club PA** - "Member Services please take a phone call on line one."

Me: "Thanks for holding, this is Matt."

Caller: "Hi Matt, I'm calling about some information about joining your club."

Me: "Great, I'd be happy to help you out. Have you ever been in the club before?"

Caller: "Oh yeah, I used to be a member about ten years ago."

Me: "Okay, well, I'm gonna have to ask you a few questions - First off, when you say you were a member ten years ago, was it with us at West Allis or Waukesha, or were you a member of the club that used to occupy this building?"

Caller: "No, I was a member downtown."

Me: "Okay... well, our downtown location has only been open since 1999, and this building used to be Club Universe before they went out of business.... Is it possible that you were a member less than ten years ago?"

Caller: "I think I'd remember when I was a member."

Me: "Okay.... Well, sir, like I sai..."

Caller: "How can you people not keep your locations straight? You were the only club downtown back then."

Me: "Sir... back then, we only had two locations. There used to be a YMCA downtown. Might that be who you're thinking of?"

Caller: "Of course I'm thinking of the Y. Why else would I have called you?"

Me: "Well... cuz this isn't the Y. This is *another club*."

Caller: "No, it's not. I called you because I saw your commercial on TV, and I want to rejoin."

Me: "Well sir, I'd be more than happy to help you, but we don't run TV commercials, so you may not have called who you intended."

Caller: "Don't tell me who I called. If you don't want to help me out, then I'll take my business elsewhere!" *click*

Nevermind that the clubs answer the phone by stating the company name, and which location they are before they say hello - so I don't know what that guy's problem was. I was really hoping we were going to get a call two minutes later from a guy bitching that the Y wouldn't help him out over the phone, but that didn't happen before I left.

All of a sudden, fixing busted keyboards, password resets, and new PC setups don't seem so bad of a task for the rest of the day.

2 Comments:

At 5:13 PM, Blogger Nort said...

You just had to throw the password reset dig in there, didn't you?

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Nick said...

Good thing you don't work for a commission.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home