Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Turkey For You.... Turkey For Me

If I ever get hit in the face by a turkey, I am NOT going to be anything like Victoria Ruvolo. If you haven't heard, Mrs. Ruvolo was driving her car one night, with a passenger in the car, in Suffolk County in the state of New York. A car driving the opposite direction with several teenagers in the car decided to hurl a 20 pound frozen turkey out their window, and towards Mrs. Ruvolo's car. The turkey smashed through the windshield, hitting her in the face, shattering EVERY bone in her skull. She lost control of the car ( you think? ), and the passenger grabbed the wheel, and while the car most assuredly crashed, it would have been worse if not for the passenger.

The kids did NOT stop to help, nor call 911. They fled, and were caught shortly there after. They had broken into a car and stolen a credit card, which was used to purchase copious amounts of groceries, including the turkey. Store surveillance is what led to their arrest.

This happened last November. Mrs. Ruvolo was in a coma for a while, and by the grace of God, is now recovering. The kid, Ryan Cushing, 17, was charged with a whole array of crimes. His trial just wrapped up this week.

He had a possible 25 year sentence for throwing the turkey. His sentence?

Six months.

The prosecutors wanted a much longer sentence, but were moved when Mrs. Ruvolo asked for leniency. She pleaded to the judge that Cushing only receive the minimum sentence.

That's some forgiveness. She initially spent five weeks in the hospital, and has undergone numerous surgeries. She had never met Cushing until the day of the sentencing. She hugged him, and told him that she loved him, and that he should, 'make the best of his life'.

Wow.

This kid better go on to cure cancer or something. The other kids involved in the day's activities will probably receive longer sentences than Cushing got. They're up for a litany of charges that include things such as; forgery, larceny ( both are felonies ), and felony criminal possession.

I am impressed with Ruvolo's compassion, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have had the same compassion myself. It's a very long time before your life gets back to normal after a trauma and injuries like that. I don't know that I'd be okay with the kid's life being back to normal before mine was.

Cushing should have to spend the rest of his life with Ruvolo's picture taped to his forehead - to help remind him how precious life is - both hers, and his own.

6 Comments:

At 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While it is understandable that you have no remorse for Ryan, please remember that he is a person, just like all of us, and he screwed up too. I know that his mistake was made out of lack of judgment, not cruelty, but I also believe that jailtime is fair. Just remember that he may not be going to jail for a long period of time, but he is going there, and imagine what that is doing to his family and him. Victoria is an amazing woman, and she made good judment in her mercy. He is a lost boy, and this may be exactly what he needed to give him some perspective on life.

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Kuflax said...

It's not that I have no remorse for Cushing - there's a part of me that wishes I could be like Ruvolo, and be as forgiving.

25 years is a little harsh for what he did, but as much as I admire Ruvolo for being that compassionate towards Cushing, I tried to imagine what I'd be feeling, or what I would do in her shoes.

I wouldn't have pushed for the maximum, but my gut feeling is that I wouldn't have recommended the minimum, or hugged him and told him that I loved him. But that doesn't mean I'm not impressed with Ruvolo - and part of me wishes that I'd have the capability to do the same as her.

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Hazel Donovan said...

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward to your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!
free car removal brisbane
cash for scrap cars toowoomba

 
At 9:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I am inspired! Extremely useful information specially the ultimate part :) I maintain such info much. I used to be seeking this particular information for a very lengthy time.
Thank you and good luck.
cash for car brisbane
car removal toowoomba

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Hashtag Car Removal said...

Hi, I am really glad I have found this info. Nowadays bloggers publish just about gossips and internet and this is actually irritating. A good site with interesting content, this is what I need. Thank you for keeping this web site, I'll be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can not find it.
accidental car removal
bus wreckers sydney

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Max Cash For Cars said...

Thanks for sharing. We pay our customers instant cash up to $9,999 without any waiting time. It is our policy to not let customers wait for their money. We also provide free towing services, so customers save even more money when dealing with us. This strategy has been a great success with our customers in Queensland. Through this, we gained a lot of goodwill from our customers.
cash for scrap cars brisbane
cars for cash gold coast

 

Post a Comment

<< Home