Monday, November 07, 2005

The Century Club

100 posts. I've actually enjoyed writing here much more than I had thought I would. I've never kept a journal, and never liked any composition class I took. But this has been fun. So here's to the next 100. I enjoy the comments as well. It's interesting to see some reactions to what my mind places in this medium.

So on this 'anniversary', I thought I'd explain the address of the blog. Some of the football guys, and newbies to the site have asked, and I've put off explaining it until now. So since it's not going away anytime soon, here's how the moniker "Kuflax" came about.

I used to live in a house in Brookfield with two other guys. Being guys, we often just referred to each other by last names. My last name is Kufahl, which is pretty unique in and of itself. But one weekend afternoon, a few of the roomies friends were over, and as usual, had been drinking. The friends were from Hartford, and for the most part, a good bunch of guys. We had a bar setup in the basement, so our house became the congregation point for the large group.

I had a baseball game that afternoon, and was working my way around the house getting ready to leave for the game - getting the uni out of the dryer, gathering equipment, etc. One of the guys, Stachura ( I know I misspelled it, but it doesn't matter ) was trying to get my attention by shouting out my last name. I hadn't known him all that long, and he wasn't getting it right. "Kufenhagen! Kufanschlagel! Kufmeister!" etc. I walked past him a few times while he and a couple of other guys sat in the living room playing video games. The other guys, ( Willy and others ) thought it was funny that he was on a roll like this. So after a few more tries, he shouts out, "I've got it! KUFLAX!"

This was met with unanimous approval from the group, followed by laughter that didn't stop until I left, and it stuck. I came back from the game later that night, and everyone was playing drinking games in the basement. Everyone had a cup that they claimed their own, and had nicknames written on the cup. There was mine, waiting for me.. with KUFLAX emblazoned on the side. I should have known then that it wasn't going to go away.

So in what I thought was going to be a passing fad, turned into more of a permanent name. I began getting introduced as Kuflax, or just as Flax. People thought nothing of it, and after a month or so, I knew this is who I was. I am still often introduced as Flax. Even when people know me by my given name, and then they hear "Flax", they tend to embrace the new name.

Willy introduced it to the team sort of on accident. We don't really think twice about it, so when I went in at one point, he shouted out something to the effect of "Go Kuflax!", which got everyone asking him who that was. So now someone like Simonsen has picked up on it, and I don't even think he knows my real name. Jesse from the team used it at work, and they've started using it. At this point, I'm thinking it won't take much before I'm at the old folks home, and they're yelling out, "Hey Flax, wanna play shuffleboard?".

The funniest part about the whole thing, was an episode with an ex girlfriend. I had been dating her for about a month when she saw my drivers license. She asked my why my license said "Kufahl" on it. I said that was my last name, and why she would ask something like that. She replied by saying, "Oh, I thought your last name was Kuflax, that's what everyone calls you."

So that's it. I've come to terms with who I am. I embrace it. I am Kuflax.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home